Monday, 11 June 2012

UPDATED: Forthcoming Appearances

UPDATE: Thanks to those of you who came along to the Critical Incident and the Brighton Japan Festival talk on Miyazaki, I hope you enjoyed them as much as I did. Quick note to say that the times of the talks at Port Eliot have changed and the correct times are below. See you there!


"Man, where does the time go?" That seems to be the beginning entry for practically every blog I read these days, and I'm no exception. Been very, very busy doing lots of things behind the scenes which I can't talk about right now. However, there are a heap of things I CAN talk about including my various talks lined up for the rest of the year. So, if you have a few quid and an hour or so to spare you can catch me at the following:




The Critical Incident, The Phoenix Gallery, Brighton
Sunday 17 June
18:00-19:00
i-Comics = Death of The Collector
This is part of a massive one-day series of talks seminars and workshops. I'll be exploring the rise of digital comics on the i-Pad and my fears for the wider negative social ramifications of receiving all entertainment digitally. You can find out more book tickets for the day here.





The Catalyst Club: The Japanese Edition, Brighton
Thursday 28 June
20:30
The Wonderful Worlds of Miyazaki
As part of the Brighton Japan Festival, I'll be one of three speakers chatting about Japanese-themed things. My talk is a celebration of the life and work of Manga artist and director, Hayao Miyazaki, and Japan's most successful animation company, Studio Ghibli. This talk explores the themes, characters and stories in their films, and why they are important to your spiritual wellbeing. This is a follow-up to the Osamu Tezuka talk I did at last year's Japan Festival, which you can watch here. There are two levels of tickets, one with a delicious meal from Moshi Moshi, and the other without. You can buy both sorts of tickets from here but they're selling fast!





Port Eliot Festival, St Germans, Cornwall
Thursday 19—Sunday 22 July
With my good pals David Bramwell and Sarah Angliss, and others, we'll be part of The Odditorium tent, and we'll be doing a series of talks, performances and the like over the weekend. I'm doing one talk a day, which are:


Friday 20
16:00
How to Increase Your Datability: The 1950s Romance Comics Way!


Saturday 21
14:20
Tijuana Bibles: 1930s erotic comics. Plus (hopefully), the first screening in the UK of Sex in the Comix starring Robert Crumb, Milo Manara, Molly Crabtree and many, many more! Subject to time and availability.


Sunday 22
13:40
Gout, the painful truth: A look at this literary lament.


This festival is a bit of a homecoming for me, as it's just down the road from Liskeard, where I briefly lived as a kid, and where my grandparents used to live. In fact, my granddad did a huge painting of Lord Eliot for the hotel that bears his name, which used to have pride of place at the top of the main staircase. It's all so circular!





Grant Morrison and the Superhero Renaissance, Trinity College, Dublin
Friday 14—Saturday 15 September
Then, later in the year, I won't be at MorrisonCon in Las Vegas (not for not wanting to!) But I'll be at the more high-brow surroundings of Dublin's Trinity College, for Grant Morrison and the Superhero Renaissance (which sounds like a Prince-like band to me!) conference. I'll be delivering a paper on the Saturday at 14:00 entitled: Transvestism, Transgenderism and Transformative Personalities in the Life and Work of Grant Morrison. Hmm... Feels like my talk would be more appropriate at "Sin City", than the hallowed halls whose alumni include Oscar Wilde, Samuel Beckett and Jonathan Swift.


So, that's my summer planned out! What are you up to? Hope to see you at some of the events!

2 comments:

Pádraig Ó Méalóid said...

We shall see you in Dublin in September, so.

TimTrue said...

Indeed you will, sir! Hope you and Deirdre are well. Only trouble now is, I have to write half of these talks! Sigh.