Monday, 30 March 2009

NEW YORK COMIC CON

I don't know, blog postings to me are like buses. You wait for ages for one and then three turn up at the same time!

I went to the New York Comic Con in February, which was fantastic. I was over for the US launch of the second volume of Erotic Comics: A Graphic History, published by Abrams. Charlie, Eric, Katrina, Ashley and all the gang at Abrams were fab and had a great stand and sold lots of books (including mine!) and were perfect hosts.

While in New York there was a huge buzz for the Watchmen movie (seems like anicent history now) and the queue for Dave Gibbons' signing was phenomenal! I've never seen a man sign so much, so fast for so many! While walking to the con one morning I saw this:

On a New York wall. Look familar?...


...Oh yeah, I knew I'd seen it somewhere! Yet another of Alan's little magical touches manifested itself just as the Watchmen film posters were going up all over New York.

Big shout outs to everyone I met there including Marty Pasko, Bob Greenberger, Tom DeFalco, Elliot Brown, Rodney Ramos, Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti. I managed to catch-up with a few lovely people who had contributed to the Erotic Comics books including the wonderful Dean Yeagle and his lovely wife, Terry Nantier at NBM, Chris Staros at Top Shelf and the very friendly Phil Foglio. Made new friends as well including former Vertigo editor (how many of us are out there?) and Publisher’s Weekly reporter, Steve Bunche; Joe Casey and Peter Kuper.

Amanda Conner gets to grips with Power Girl (or is it the other way round?)

Erotic Comics contributor Gene Kannenberg Jr and I did a signing on the Saturday and signed a few copies to couples, which was nice to see. Thanks to the lovely Martha Thomases, I did a podcast interview with Mike Raub at the point radio, which you can hear here and go to the dates: 16 & 20 March. I was under duress and consequently ended up referring to Franco’s Spanish Fascistic dictatorship as a “company” and a “corporation”! Yeesh! I also handed in a set of the Erotic Comics books into Jill at the CBLDF for them to auction to raise money. They are signed by as many people I could get who feature inside (including a large portion of the names mentioned here) and is a rare treat for Americans as there were a lot of European creators who rarely make it to the US.

Psst... 'Ere... Wana buy some smutty books? Nudge, nudge. My 
filth-mongering cohort, Gene Kannenberg Jr (left) and I sign copies of 
Erotic Comics: A Graphic History at the Abrams ComicArts stand. 

Got to meet comic historian par excellence, and fellow Abrams scribe, Craig Yoe who’s fantastic book, Secret Identity: The Fetish Art of Superman’s Co-Creator, Joe Shuster is out in April. The book is thoroughly recommended as the perfect accompaniment to my two volumes and is full of fascinating facts. Go out and buy it now! Craig surpassed all my marketing expectations by producing a branded spanking paddle, genius! I want one!

My fellow smut peddler, Craig Yoe, signs copies of his excellent Secret Identity book.

Amazingly didn’t go massively out on the lash, as per normal conventions, and consequently missed loads of Brits I’d like to have seen more of including Steve Pugh, Dean Ormston, Frazer Irving, and there were people who I missed completely, including Andy Diggle, Yishan Li, Emma Vicelli, Dave Elliot, Peter Milligan, Philip and Shelly Bond, Nelson DeCastro, and Grant Morrison. Sorry chaps!

Did manage to have a few quiet pints with Garth Ennis, Steve Dillon, Rob Steen (Flanimals co-creator and Wormwood artist), DC’s Scott Nybukken and other friends. Avatar publisher William Christensen and novelist and former Vertigo editor (another one!) Alisa Kwitney also turned up, before me and the missus turned in for the night.

Had a lovely dinner with Tony Bedard and a friend of his. I hadn’t seen Tony since we’d all almost drowned off a windswept small Irish island 5 years ago with Garth, Steve, Darrick Robertson, Glenn Fabry, John McCrea and the gang, so it was good catch-up with him. He’s been a busy boy writing all manner of stuff at DC, but I suspect he wasn’t writing anything the next morning as Garth was plying him with copious amounts of fine whiskey!

This was my first time at NYCC—and only my second US con—but would love to return and do some panels next year (if you are reading this, Lance!) Actually the whole trip made me realise how many friends I have in New York and I should try and get back over there when there isn’t a show on and catch up with people.

"Wake up" - Rage Against the Machine

2 comments:

Martha Thomases said...

Next year, come a day early and I'll take you to Shopsins.

TimTrue said...

Promise we'll do that next time I'm in town!