Monday, 21 July 2008

Watchmen Movie



Well, our first glimpse at the
movie is finally out on the web and the buzz is generally positive. On first watching the trailer, I was surprised at how downbeat the whole vibe was. A bit too much slow-mo camera work, but that was necessary to take in the panel reconstructions, which like Sin City are precise panel-for-panel recreations (which may or may not be a good thing). The music didn’t inspire me initially, not being a fan of The Smashing Pumpkins, but the mood grew on me with subsequent viewings.

It’s funny that when I first read Watchmen 21 years ago (Oy, I feel old) I always visualised it much brighter than the movie is, but with hindsight the story should have a dark, bleak atmosphere, as the nuclear clock ticks towards midnight. It’s funny I can clearly remember picking up #11 in the Virgin Megastore comics section—on one of my comic buying trips to London—and being left on tenterhooks for a whole month. I was paranoid I was going to miss #12 as they were flying off the shelves. Overall the film is looking pretty positive, but it could still turn crap in the end. Let’s hope not. Alan Moore will have nothing to do with it, which is fair enough, and Dave Gibbons is happy with it, and that’s good enough for me.

I’m a bit pissed off at DC Comics/Entertainment Weekly/iTunes who are offering the “animated” version of the first issue, narrated,
free. If you live in America. What are we? Chopped liver? I really resent this shit about exclusives only being available in the US. We live in a global market, but obviously Warner Bros. haven't realised this yet. Yeesh! Sort it out people, really. I’m sure it’s crap, but I’d to at least have the chance to make my own mind up about it.

"Wake up" - Rage Against the Machine

2 comments:

Brendan McGinley said...

You're not missing anything with the animated reading. It's all one guy reading and doing the voices.

TimTrue said...

Cheers, Brendan.
That's basically what I heard, But the point is I'd like to actually have the choice of watching it or not. I hate the way corporations make decisions for the general public about what we can and can't have access to. That was more what I was railing against, rather than not actually being able to see the multimedia slideshow. I'll stick with Alan's reading of Rorschach's diary he did on UK TV (for the Culture Show, I believe). Completely over the top, of course!